continue shopping



Photo Credit: SFExaminer 

On Sunday, the Dropkick Murphys’ vocalist Al Barr was heading out to Dallas/Fort Worth to fly home to catch a friend’s funeral. It was November 13th when Barr found out that one of his closest friends had passed away. Barr continued to perform with the band up until their show in San Antonio on November 15th. The band made a post on Facebook  to let everyone know that he would not be able to attend the next show in Tusla on November 16th by saying:

“Two days ago in Albuquerque, NM I received a phone call that no one wants to get… One of my oldest & dearest friends Nathan Christy had passed away. Nathan & I had been like brothers since the 4th grade. It was only a few years ago that we buried his little brother Alex. Once again I am called home early from a tour to be part of a funeral service. I will sing two songs in his honor accompanied by @reverendtoddseely (an old bandmate) who has been kind enough to be part of this, dusting off “till the end” & “you can’t put your arms around a memory” ! The same songs I sung at Alex’s memorial. I want to apologize to the fans coming to the Tulsa show. But if I don’t fly tomorrow AM, I would miss the service. Joan, Nathan & Alex’s mother needs me & I will be there for her ! I know you all know what kind of band we are & that family must come first! The band will still play in Tulsa as scheduled. They will play a special set with Ken on lead vocals & it will be better than ever! I will be back in time for Mexico City & South America. Again I am sorry for my absence & appreciate your understanding in this very personal matter.—Al Barr.”

Obviously, this is a horrible occurrence, and it’s completely understandable that he should call of the tour early for this. The fact that he was still able to do a show after hearing about it is admirable in it’s own right.


The trouble didn’t end there, however, as the band was involved with some more tragedy. As they were driving down to Dallas, at around 3:00 A.M. just outside of Austin, it was reported that a pedestrian walked in front of their tour bus in an act of suicide. The band had to make another announcement to their Facebook, saying:

“Hello Tulsa fans. We have some tough news - we have to cancel tonight's show at Cain's Ballroom.
After last nights San Antonio show we were enroute to the Dallas airport to drop off Al and then continue on to Tulsa (as we mentioned yesterday Al is flying home for the funeral of a life long friend).
Sadly however, at around 3 a.m. just north of Austin, we were involved in a tragic and fatal accident when a pedestrian suddenly ran onto the highway in front of our tour bus. Police suspect a suicide.
We were left with a driver that has been severely shaken up by the accident and a bus too damaged to continue onto Tulsa.
Throughout the early morning hours we tried every possible way to get our band and gear to Tulsa but we've simply run out of time.
As much as it pains us to miss a show and we truly apologize for it, we'd like to stop and acknowledge that a man has lost his life. Please keep him and any family he might have in your prayers.
All tickets purchased via phone or Internet will be automatically refunded. Those who bought tickets in-person can return to the Cain's box office during business hours for a refund. Tulsa: thanks for your support and understanding. We will see you soon!
Love, DKM”

The band can’t catch a break. In the middle of dealing with another tragedy, their faced with another one on the way. We wish the best to the band, to Al Barr, the driver of the bus, the family of the man involved in the accident, and anyone else who may have been affected by this. It seems so strange that so much could go so wrong in such a short period of time.

 Here's the news report for the event: